Bloom was the first edition I made for the Experimental Print Club. By the time it was editioned I had 6 members signed up, and so it was numbered as an edition of 6, with a few APs, and a PP, in line with one of the club’s rules, that the edition length would be set by the number of members on the day each work is printed. The idea of course is to make time specific pieces that chart my process and progress in the studio, if only obliquely, and will hopefully become moderately collectible as a result of their highly limited availability.
The idea to etch the piece was central to this first edition, as I was keen to continue thinking about the ongoing dialogue surrounding the digital vs the analogue, and specifically what's lost and what's gained in the process. I asked Ros Ford to help with the print, as I’d previously enjoyed working with her on my ReVOX / masked etching. Both projects have been hugely enjoyable affairs. As with ReVOX / masked, the idea for Bloom would be to take a digital drawing, in this case a b/w study from my Radial / THREE series, and produce it as an inked copper plate etching. After much decision making about scale, cropping, plate size and density testing, I hope we ended up with a good first edition to send out to club members. Looking back from this distance, I also seem to have documented the production fairly comprehensively, so I’ve posted quite a few of those images here, so you can get some sense of the process involved.
"...Ros Ford and I completed the Bloom edition last week at BV Studios, and after 4 or 5 days drying time, the completed, editioned, etchings are packed and in the post today. So you should receive your first Patreon Experimental Print Club mailing very soon.
It's been a fascinating process working with Ros on the etching. For clarity, Ros made the copper plate, and has done all the inking and printing, my input has been the original drawing, the film work, all the digital stuff, and the print finishing. I've chosen to leave one naturally deckled edge, and 3 cut sides, partly to show orientation, but primarily to make a real feature of the beautiful softened edge of the handmade Somerset paper. All the prints also have a full watermark in the bottom r/h corner.
So this first edition is limited to six prints, a printer's proof, and a couple of artist's proofs. They've been mailed out to Wisconsin, and Stornaway, amongst other places. As per the idea for the club, the print won't ever be re editioned, so that's it for this piece, the work that's been mailed out today is the whole edition. A moment in time.
I'm already working on the next piece(s) so I'll look forward to posting some more information here as the summer comes in, about what I'm planning to make. The next piece will be in colour, probably laser cut, and will be a solo project. But I am also planning on collaborating further with local friends and artists on future editions..."